Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Post II :)


So far in my research, I have learned some interesting things about solidarity. When I was searching online for solidarity and examples of it, I came across an interesting article. The article was about people gathering at the Vatican, supporting Pope Benedict XVI, despite the others who are criticizing him for not taking action when there was a sex scandal while he was a Bishop. It was interesting because the people felt the pain and embarrassment that he was feeling. They were empathizing with him, instead of sympathizing.
I have learned so many new facts so far about solidarity, thus giving new opinions. Before this my Theology class this semester, I thought that solidarity was almost a communist idea. Now, I realize that solidarity has nothing to do with everyone having the same rights, but it is more of people having rights in general. In order for the people to even have these rights, other people must stand up for them.
I also found this quote today while researching the topic:
"To injure one is to injure all"
This quote was famous during the Industrial Revolution and it was used to describe how the dangerous workplaces were affecting the people. I think that this quote is very relate-able to the topic of solidarity because it basically says it all; when we hurt one individual or group of people, they will not be the only one's affected. We will be affected, as well as those who are called to help the injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment