Monday, May 3, 2010

SOLIDARITY!!!

Solidarity is the belief that "we are all in this together". It is the belief that in order for us to all survive, we need each other. It means that we need to speak up for each other and be there to show other humans that we care. Here is a quote that I think demonstrates solidarity:
"In Germany, they first came for the Communists, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me- and by that time, there was no one left to speak up..."
- Pastor Martin Niemoller

Like this quote said, soon there will be no one left to speak up. I believe that solidarity is crucial to our society. We clearly need each other.

1 comment:

  1. While I really like the quote(s) that you used, I wish you would have shared more of your thoughts on the topic, or more of the information that you had found thus far, or even your first impressions of the topic...did you really know what solidarity was?

    ReplyDelete